Friday, December 16, 2011

Returning Home

Well, we are just returning home from a wonderful trip, and what an experience it was. I am still overwhelmed by everything that we saw and experienced on our pilgrimage. I am so glad that many of you kept up with us on this blog. I will continue to offer some reflections and may even have some of our travelers contribute their stories! Before we left, I shared a list of 10 things I was most looking forward to. So now I’d like to share my top 10 highlights of the journey as I experienced it for myself (not necessarily in order- there were so many great things!):

1) Viewing Jerusalem for the first time from the top of the Mount of Olives where Jesus prayed and wept over the city

2) Visiting the Garden Tomb and sharing in Holy Communion there

3) Singing Christmas praise songs with my fellow travelers at the Shepherds’ Field where the angels proclaimed Christ’s birth

4) The boat ride on the Sea of Galilee

5) Visiting the caves at Qumran where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered

6) Viewing the Jezreel valley and mountains from the top of Megiddo and watching Scripture literally come to life as we saw where Jesus walked and spent most of his time

7) Walking along the shores of Galilee where Jesus taught and appeared to the disciples after his resurrection

8) Praying at the Western Wall and observing the people there

9) Sitting on the teaching steps where Jesus himself taught and walked into the Temple

10) Singing together as a group from the depths of the house of Caiaphas in the pit where Jesus may have been imprisoned while on trial

11) And ok…one more…riding a camel at Petra…of course!

On behalf of our traveling group, I would like to thank all of you for your prayers, support, and encouragement as we made our journey to the Holy Land. My prayer for each of you is that you might one day experience it for yourself. Nothing compares to seeing the Bible come to life and walking where Jesus walked. I look forward to sharing more of our trip with you in the upcoming months!

In Christ,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment